Building of the Faculty of Arts
of Comenius University
The building is a large building on the Danube embankment. The author of the project was the military engineer Jozef Rittner, the construction was carried out by Pittel and Brausewetter. The building, completed in 1913, was built for the “Korpskomando”, the headquarters of the military headquarters of the C. and K. Austro-Hungarian Army. At that time, the very modern architecture with multiple functions ( administrative, residential, social) is in the art-deco style, with reference to the Viennese Art Nouveau. The expression of the building reflects not only the artistic style but also the main function, with numerous stylized symbols of soldiering and victory. The most important part, however, are the monumental sculptures in the form of a series of ancient heads – helmets , set as landmarks at the level of the attic.
The comprehensive restoration focused on the entire exterior, restoring plaster, stucco elements, metal components, stone and artificial stone parts, damaged structures of masonry parts, wooden elements, colouring, etc. Objects of monumental heads – helmets with dimensions of 100 x 120 cm above the attic were especially dealt with. They represent a type of armament of ancient warriors with a face mask, topped with a crest and chochol. The helmets made of terrazzo material were badly damaged, in many places already missing. They were therefore restored, reconstructed , cast in a mould in the lightweight core method using stone chippings in epoxy. The surface was coloured to reflect the original sandstone tone of the terrazzo. The restoration process involved a technically demanding dismantling and refitting to the original site. The overall restoration ( from the portals to the helmets above the attic) contributed significantly to the authentic expression of the listed architecture.